Friday, June 11, 2010

But they are not “real” Muslims or so I am told

By Robert Salaam, from his blog.

I am deeply saddened and pained by the news that at least 80 Muslims from the Ahmadiyyah sect were murdered in Pakistan by terrorists during Friday prayers. This great loss of humanity should reverberate throughout the Muslim world, however it won’t likely even be mentioned. Unfortunately, due to great ignorance and hypocrisy, my fellow Muslims who claim to be Sunni as I am don’t seem to think much of Ahmadiyyah’s. What crime have they committed that could have possibly warrant the slaughter of so many men, women, and children? What beliefs could they hold that are so “anti-Islam” that it could warrant decades of oppression, slaughter, and inhumanity by those who themselves ironically claim the title of “Muslim”? Allah (swt) knows best.

I will not go into depth about where my beliefs as a Sunni Muslim differ from those who belong to the Ahmaddiyyah sect, because it is not necessary. These MUSLIMS bear witness to the ONE God, and bear witness to His Messenger Muhammad, upon whom peace and blessings are to be bestowed. I happen to be of the opinion that since I don’t have the keys to paradise nor hell that it’s ultimately up to Allah (swt) to decide, but I seem to be in the minority.

I need not go into how many friends I have that are Ahmaddiyah who I claim as true friends and family, nor do I need to repeat my arguments in defense of their cause as I have in the past. The important thing is that it is about time for Muslims to start being Muslims. It’s time for Muslims to actually follow the Sunnah. There is no way I could call myself Muslim and ignore the barbaric practices carried out by fellow Muslims. There is no way I could ever believe that the Prophet (saw) would ever advocate terrorism and oppression against those who say they believe.

However, on we sleep. On we idly sit by apathetic to the suffering wrought upon this group and many others. Yet, our passions can easily be awoken if the French threaten to pass an anti-burqa law or someone draws a cartoon and calls it “Muhammad”. We have truly become a community of hypocrites.

What kind of backward people would turn a blind eye to murder, allow open persecution, dictatorship, and evil to exist in our lands yet never suffer a cartoonist to live without fear of death?

And we actually wonder why people mock us. We actually wonder why they call us backward and barbaric.

I am thoroughly disgusted and am tired of all the hollow statements from our so-called Muslim leaders who have much to say when it’s convenient and are silent when it is not. The alphabet soup of Muslim organizations love to condemn actions when it’s politically expedient. We love to call out artists and engage in a debate about free speech when we feel “disrespected”. But where are these organizations, Imams, student associations, and other Muslim groups today?

They are silent.

Where is our government who loves to remind us that Pakistan is our ally yet are tight lipped concerning the persecution that the Pakistani government openly allows and sanctions through uncivilized and discriminatory laws?

I pray for all the victims of these terrorists and their families regardless of what sect they belong to, regardless of what they believe, regardless if Allah (swt) considers them Muslim or not, because it’s the human thing to do. I pray that a day will come when Muslims act on the decree of Allah (swt) and actually be a model for all civilizations. I pray for a day when no one will ever feel unsafe when they have Muslims for neighbors.

These Satanic actions must not only be condemned, but punished, legislated against, and openly debated. If we sit back and allow this tyranny to exist and do nothing, we become part of the tyranny and are worthy of the hellfire. How can we claim Islam as our religion and not try to stop these actions physically, verbally, or at least hate it in our hearts.

I call upon all Muslims and those of other faiths to speak out against the terrorism and oppression of the Ahmaddiyah community. I call upon America’s citizens to contact our legislators and our President and let them know that we will not tolerate a Pakistani government that openly oppresses her citizens and creates an atmosphere that results in actions taken similar to those that occurred today in Pakistan.

Either we truly are believers or we are not. At least be man or woman enough to admit it. No drawing is more important than the murders of innocent men, women, and children right under our noses. Where’s the fatwa against this crime?

I would like to believe that my fellow Sunni Muslims would echo my sentiments, but I’m already wise enough to know that I’m more likely to hear the sounds of crickets than I am to at a minimum hear or read a statement from one of our “leaders” or “organizations” condemning these crimes. Unfortunately, my rose colored glasses were shattered years ago.

Here’s to holding my breath…..

My Allah (swt) reward, protect, and guide His true servants in these perilous times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm deeply sadden also. What I hope doesn't happen in America is this intolerance for other religions and their.

America is noted as a free country. One of the downsides to America's open arms immigration policy is that we also import other's religious and social intolerance. So much so that America is starting to look intolerant herself. We can look at these other countries and say, "I don't want to be like Mike".